Do you have wonderful memories of an old-fashioned county fair — prize-worthy livestock displays, giant produce, sack races? Did your grandma enter her world famous apple pie or grape jelly for competition — and win every year? Do you remember the sights of colorful homemade quilts, the sounds of kids playing games, the smell of sweet hay, the taste of fair food that can’t be matched? Fear not, those days are back! Grayson County will host its second annual Agricultural Fair on August 10 from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM. The Youth Livestock show will be held on Friday, August 9 beginning at 6:00 PM. Both will be held at Bottomley’s Farm and Evergreens in Elk Creek, Virginia 10278 Elk Creek Parkway.
YOUTH LIVESTOCK SHOW
- Poultry (new this year!)
- Goats (new this year!)
This is the highlight of the fair. The Youth Livestock Show begins on Friday and continues into Saturday. The region’s youngest farmers shine by showing off these prized animals. We’re ensuring the future of our farms through this show!
•Watermelon Eating Contest
•Seed Spitting Contest
•Pony Rides ($5 each)
•Outdoor Connect Four
•”Can” Knock Down
These old-fashioned fair games are for the kids and the kids at heart! There is no age requirement for participation.
The spirit of competition is alive and well in Grayson County. The following is a list of categories you can compete in!
- Poster Contest (The only Competition with a cash prize.)
- Fruit Competition
- Field Crop Competition
- Vegetable Competition
- Flower Arrangement Competition
- Ornamental Potted Plant Competition
- Food Preservation Competition
- Food Preparation Competition
- *Art Work
- ***Needle Arts
* Acrylics, cartooning, ceramics, collage, computer generated, gouache, multi-media, oil, pottery, rubber stamping, sculpture, sketch, stained glass, water color
**baskets, beading, birdhouses, ornaments, decorated clothing, dolls, folk art, gourd art, jewelry, leather, mosaic, scrapbook, using recycled items, weaving, woodworking
***Blankets/fleece, counted cross stitch, crewel, embroidery, latch hook, needlepoint, plastic canvas, sewing, stamped cross stitch, wall hanging, quilts, crochet, knitting
****Wildlife, black & white, landscape, people/portrait, macro, water, pets/domestic animals, people at play/sports, 2018 Grayson Fair, farming, farms. Rules for photography: photos must be take from September 2018 to August 2019; one entry per person per category; 8 x 10’s only; no borders or frames; mount on 11 x 14 black foam core; black foam core available for $2 at drop off Thursday evening; black & white photos may be entered into any category
- Broom Making
- Horse Shoeing
This is what you do as you’re waiting for competitions to begin or to be judged. Some exhibitors may offer items for sale! Also grab some food while you wait! Friday they’ll have hot dogs and snow cones. Saturday they add barbeque pork with sides, funnel cakes, and shaved ice. Various farm supplies and government agencies including Southern States, Bartlett Milling, Southwest Farm Supply, Mt. Airy Tractor Supply, Farm Credit NRCS, VDACS, Virginia Tech Cooperative extension and others will be there handing out information. This is a perfect time to speak with an expert!
- No Entry Fee
- You DO NOT have to be a Grayson County resident to enter.
- Youth and adults judged separately
- Perishable & nonperishable entries accepted Thursday, August 8, 4:00 – 8:00 PM.
- Perishable items also accepted Friday, August 9, 7:00 AM — 12:30 PM
- Location: Bottomley’s Evergreens and Farm, 10278 Elk Creek Parkway, Elk Creek, VA.
- Preregister (recommended) on-line at www.graysoncountyvaagfair.com under General Competitions
- Exhibitors must print and complete form to turn in with entry.
- All products must be grown or submitted by the person entering during the current calendar year unless otherwise specified in the category.
- All fruits and vegetables must be in a natural state (no waxing).
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place Ribbons will be awarded.
- Entries must be removed by August 11 after release time (4:00 — 6:00 PM)
- More information: Michelle Pridgen — firstname.lastname@example.org or 276-768-0597, https://www.facebook.com/events/325757788354987/ , or https://www.graysoncountyvaagfair.com/
Beautiful farmland is one of Grayson County’s most valuable assets. These rolling hills produce world class beef, dairy cattle, sheep, and Christmas trees. Our artisans are the best! The agricultural fair showcases the economic importance of farming in our area and its significance in our future prosperity. Come out and participate, or just watch! You don’t have to be a Grayson County resident to participate.